NOVOPCA was founded in 1947 as an affiliate of OPCA, Obras Públicas e Cimento Armado SA. Being a majority partner, and having as representative Manuel Godinho, one of the founders of OPCA, the company from Porto followed the growth of its affiliate, including working on joint works. Headquartered in Lisbon, NOVOPCA gradually moved away from its home company. Its activity began in Lisbon with the Alvalade neighborhood, followed by the works of the 1st section of the Lisbon Metro, from Sete Rios to Rossio and Entre Campos to Avenida. The engineering background of its founding partners also led to specialization in the bridge and viaduct sector, such as the Santa Clara Bridge in Coimbra, the Geres Bridges over the Cávado and Caldo rivers, the Rainha Santa Isabel Bridge in Coimbra, the Sousa River Bridge, the Frade and Agudim Viaducts on A1, and the Tâmega River Bridge on A4, and in the industrial sector, including the General Motors Portugal Facilities and the Factory and Grinding Silos of Alhandra. However, the company built many other undeniable symbols of architecture, such as the Navy Museum and the Calouste Gulbenkian Planetarium, both in Lisbon.
Selected and Related:
Selected Works Location